Is it possible the installer doesn't work on W10 anymore?

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Is it possible the installer doesn't work on W10 anymore?

Postby teeth_03 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:45 am

I can't get it to do anything with a KA_1.iso, either mounted or extracted, with and without compatibility mode on setup.exe, and ran as admin

W10 Home 1909

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Re: Is it possible the installer doesn't work on W10 anymore

Postby John » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:59 am

I can't replicate it here, tested on a clean 18363.836 VM. No errors at all? Could your AV be blocking it?

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:28 pm

I dont use AV

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:15 pm

I just tried it again, it just spins for a few seconds, then I check task manager and its still there running in the background

I right Clicked on the Process in Task Manager, went to Details, right Clicked on the process in the Details Tab (setup.exe), clicked Analyze Wait Chain, and found that the setup.exe Was Waiting on my Razor Synapse Software for whatever reason, I was able to kill that process from the same window, then the KA Setup popped up.

So news flash, I guess you can't install KA if the Razor Software is running?

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:08 am

teeth_03 wrote:I just tried it again, it just spins for a few seconds, then I check task manager and its still there running in the background

I right Clicked on the Process in Task Manager, went to Details, right Clicked on the process in the Details Tab (setup.exe), clicked Analyze Wait Chain, and found that the setup.exe Was Waiting on my Razor Synapse Software for whatever reason, I was able to kill that process from the same window, then the KA Setup popped up.

That's a good one, I don't have any Razor devices but I will try to find out why that happens.

jukelo
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby jukelo » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:58 pm

teeth_03 wrote:I just tried it again, it just spins for a few seconds, then I check task manager and its still there running in the background

Hi, sorry for unearthing this, but I needed to post to thank you.
My installer was hanging as well, and I had no idea that you could check the task manager to figure out why.
It turned out the installer was waiting for one of the Nvidia containers. Killing it didn't seem to cause any issue (and there's been a couple restarts since anyway), and allowed me to finally install KA. It's now all patched up and running smoothly and I feel like I'm 15 again.

I have been meaning to replay this for a few years now, but got frustrated at my inability to get it to run... so I'm supper glad somebody finally put me on the right track!

Return to General Discussion