PREVIEW: New Homeworlds (WIP)

Poktarl
Elite Commando
Elite Commando

PREVIEW: New Homeworlds (WIP)

Postby Poktarl » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:20 pm

While I'm doing the remake of the sovereign class, which is quit annoying at the current point of work (ginsu) I need to do something that has a lower frustration level, making planets is mostly a good choice for me. :D

So I've resumed my planet refreshing project, going on with some more new home systems of the more known races. All of the suns will get an overhaul too. Using some of SDO's - Solar Dynamic Observatory data for the texture maps. There is so much you can do to make the game look better, especially in terms of celestial objects. For example I think of the great nebulae made by Senior Citizen or other great solar system mods. Talking about nebulae, I've tried myself making a nebula, NGC2392 - The Eskimo Nebula was the result. Using 4 textures each 256x256 px brings a lot detail, but it could be more for my taste :p

Many of the new planets and moons got subtargets to blow off, making this for the rest of the planets will take some time, so I hope I can release them as soon as possible. Feel free to write what you think about it or which planet/system you would like to see.

Poktarl ;)

Breen Homeworld
though there a many assertions about the climate conditions, for me Breen is cold and harsh planet

Gorn Homeworld
Gornar, a planet with warm and humid climate. Mainly large connected continents, a big ocean like the primeval earth, perfect for big reptiles

Gorn Homeworld Moon 1

Gorn Homeworld Moon 2

NGC2393 - "The Eskimo Nebula"

Poktarl
Elite Commando
Elite Commando

Postby Poktarl » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:31 pm

Qo'noS I
completing the Qo'noS System, now including custom textures for Qo'noS I - III

Qo'noS II

Qo'noS III

Tholian Homeworld
according to many Star Trek lexica, Tholians are silicon based lifeforms, so in my mind their home is a hot, rocky, try planet with harsh conditions.

Tholian Homeworld Moon

at least, I would like to show you my new Quick Battle navigation map, made many months ago. It's based on the official Star Trek galaxy map and shows roughly each races' territory and their key planets. May this can by add to Gordon's Galactic Exploration Script.

The Shakurian System, Betazed, Bolarus, Tellar and some more are on the to-do-list :D

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:55 pm

beautiful! Me wants it! ;)
And I have to say the mods on your signature rock!

Can I add the systems to my stock KA without it resulting in multiplayer data mismatches?
Dater: "Yeah, Teeth. Thanks for pushing me into a black hole!"

Hidden Agenda
General
General

Postby Hidden Agenda » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:04 pm

Do you have any plans to make new system backgrounds/starfields also (canon or non canon). Apologies if you already have and I'm not aware. Whenever I play KA at the moment, I quickbattle in Minbari Captain's Apollo system as it is far more pleasing to the eye than the standard KA systems and with the quality of the mod ships improving all the time, it would be good for the starfields to keep up.
-----------------------------
You know the difference between
me & you? I make this look good!

Poktarl
Elite Commando
Elite Commando

Postby Poktarl » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:21 pm

Indeed I had plans for that :) Using a rendered starfield map 8192x4048 pixel, divided into to 256 px pieces. This means 1024 squares, that would be a bunch of work and I'm not sure if KA can handle so much textures, plus maybe some good quality planets and high-res mods. But many textures is the only way is see to get detail. Using this as background would be awesome!

Scotty
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby Scotty » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:48 pm

Sweet! Nice work! I can't wait to play them.
Beam this up!

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:36 am

It might not be right away, but I'll get that map in there.

The way to make it work and fit within the constraints of the script is to have a unique "Sector" for your QSS.

In KA, all the Federation (Academy) campaign systems are located in Sector 0,0,0, and all the Civil War systems are located in Sector 1,0,0; the Quick-Battle (multiplayer) systems are in 2,0,0. Why don't you put yours in 3,0,0?

It would be very easy for me to "hard-code" in 3,0,0 being your map, but I don't want to do that; instead, I will make it part of the customs.txt file to associate a custom image with a sector.

EDIT: This has been done, check my thread for the new files.

RedHotChiliDog
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Postby RedHotChiliDog » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:52 am

These are very impressive looking. I like it when alternate environments are made since this is one of the key features that keep me drawn into a dated game like KA. Have not seen many other games with interactive environments like this game has so it is nice to see modders adding to this often overlooked feature. Nice work poktarl!
RedHotChiliDog

Klingons and Potato Chips are better with ridges.

brianmoler.com - Mission scripting and other strangeness

Hidden Agenda
General
General

Postby Hidden Agenda » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:33 pm

Poktarl wrote:Indeed I had plans for that :) Using a rendered starfield map 8192x4048 pixel, divided into to 256 px pieces. This means 1024 squares, that would be a bunch of work and I'm not sure if KA can handle so much textures, plus maybe some good quality planets and high-res mods. But many textures is the only way is see to get detail. Using this as background would be awesome!

I don't know how many textures the MC system uses but that still has pretty good detail, so 1024 squares probably wouldn't be necessary. It's more that the Apollo system in particular all matches up - I've seen other systems where you get obvious edges to textures in the system background and because of that, it doesn't work so well.

On a side note, I think where KA falls down is the feeling of actually moving through something - to me it generally looks like you're flying against a background although I don't really notice this when in a battle. If you sit back and just look ingame, the little moving blue dots don't really do that much to give the impression of moving through space to me. Nebulas work alright. I always got the impression that games like Freespace 2 which I believe came out at the same time give the impression of moving through space better and the Nebulas in that game are also great.
-----------------------------
You know the difference between
me & you? I make this look good!

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:40 pm

I get your point! Maybe it would be possible to increase the amount of particles (moving dots) also they should not vanish when you come to a full stop... any ideas who could do that?

Gordon Finlay
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Gordon Finlay » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:23 pm

Hm, what about making a system-wide "nebulae" with all the effects turned off except for some kind of dust effect?

I've been experimenting with combinations of terrains; stacking a nebula on top of a planet, and changing the values and so on. Might be worth pursuing!

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:04 pm

mmmmm.. system wide nebulae? you mean the atmosphere effect (clouds) when you enter e.g. a sun's corona? do you have a screenshot?

Poktarl
Elite Commando
Elite Commando

Postby Poktarl » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:21 am

thanks guys, this is very kind of you :)

Hidden Agenda wrote:On a side note, I think where KA falls down is the feeling of actually moving through something - to me it generally looks like you're flying against a background although I don't really notice this when in a battle. If you sit back and just look ingame, the little moving blue dots don't really do that much to give the impression of moving through space to me. Nebulas work alright. I always got the impression that games like Freespace 2 which I believe came out at the same time give the impression of moving through space better and the Nebulas in that game are also great.

This is a very early stage of my new background, using a sphere with 10 surfaces. Repeating a single texture seems to be the only way to get enough detail without using tons of images. I'm currently using a repeating factor of 20 by 20, it could be more for my taste, tell me what you think.

The first two screens shows my redone Sovi (almost done) and the new star background.

And I got another homeworld done, this time ShaKuria, a water world with planetary ring and subtargets also both of the moons. This completes the homeworld planet series of all KA races. Furthermore systems and planets are in production.

(corrected atmosphere color)

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:30 am

Man! Everything looks fantastic. I can't tell you how sick and tired I am of seeing the same crappy stretched out graphics over the planets, moons, and anything else that just plain sucks.

If the asteroids in the belt could be updated to something more like they were in SFC2, that would be a serious improvement vs. the chop block crap we've got now.

I'm not entirely aware of everything you've done, but I do know you've done a lot over the years based on my 11,550 mod forum post title walk-thru. So, I'll ask the odd "out of the loop" question once in awhile. For the planets, have you completely redesigned them in LW or are you using some ultra high resolution? Those planets and moons are round beyond belief vs. the near octagon planets in the game.
Warning, we have entered Neutral Zone, Warning.....

Vuikie
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Vuikie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:45 am

I have to agree with DBF68, these planets look SOMUCH better then the stock planets. I would love to add these to my KA.

I hope you telease them in 1 package when your done.

Keep up the good work!
Cry whoe, destruction, ruin and decay. And worst of it is death... and death will have it's day.

Dater
Elite Warrior
Elite Warrior

Postby Dater » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Ah I really like the progress! They look so beautiful!

Does BodyMass:0 mean that the celestial bodies don't have mass and therefore gravity? Would modifying this value have any effect?

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Sun May 22, 2011 12:16 am

Poktarl,

Have you made any planet mods to replace the stock planets that are used in quick battle environments? I've great looking ships and crappy looking planets. If anyone that reads this question knows of someone else that made some replacement quick battle planets, let me know.

Poktarl
Elite Commando
Elite Commando

Postby Poktarl » Wed May 25, 2011 10:10 pm

well, so far I've only done planet mods for the more known solar systems, like Sol, Qonos, Romulus etc. There are so many stock planets in Klingon Academy, it would take a lot of time and endless new textures to replace all of the solid, gaseous and ringed planets, but yeah sounds like an interesting long term project. :) One more modpack that may contain new textured planets is the Star System Pack 1 by KAF Thor http://www.angelfire.com/trek/thor/

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Thu May 26, 2011 12:46 pm

Poktarl wrote:... One more modpack that may contain new textured planets is the Star System Pack 1 by KAF Thor http://www.angelfire.com/trek/thor/
Yeah, I've got his site faved in my KA browser folder. Unfortunately, there are some links on his site that aren't working, like the LW Tutorial that I wouldn't mind having along with a LW 5.5 user and reference manual if I could find them. So, I emailed Thor/Mike and PMed him from here too.

I've only got one planet related mod of his downloaded, but it's just a single random encounter planet oriented mod for a system called Rekknar. Still, it might be worth trying. Although, if it's just a nice image stretched across another octagon planet, I might as well just stick with the Planetary Atmosphere environment for Quick Battles. :rolleyes:

One thing I don't understand is why these Angelfire sites are still up if people don't use them or make sure things still work on them. Why? has his site, but in a reply post to me, he more or less implies he doesn't have access to his Angelfire site, which I don't understand.

http://www.klingonacademy.com/showthread.php?p=302970#post302970

If John ever gets all the mods sorted out that he's got backed up and gets them up in the download section, I'm going be downloading and archiving 2-3 sets of the good mods. I realize this game is old and people have lives outside of it, but it's just a little frustrating to go to an active KA mod site and have a lot of the links not work. :confused:

Return to Screenshots & Videos