Sreenshot

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Sreenshot

Postby LeDaniel » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:06 pm

Is possible to make srceenshot in game ? Pushing "printsreen" is not working :-(. Or i must use only FRAPS ??

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:34 am

LeDaniel wrote:Is possible to make srceenshot in game ? Pushing "printsreen" is not working :-(. Or i must use only FRAPS ??
Per Komat's website:

[INDENT]Version 1.17 (24.2.2011) - Stable.
Source code

Supports the in-game screenshot functionality. [/INDENT]

So, if you're using version 1.19, you should have screenshot capability. Although, I prefer fraps because, unless I'm remembering incorrectly, you can take multiple screenshots at a time, not just one with PrtScn. If the issue for you with fraps is the frame counter being in the pics, you can disable the frame counter so it doesn't show up in the pics. The PrtScn key is the hard coded key to take .bmp screenshots. I don't know why it wouldn't be working.
Warning, we have entered Neutral Zone, Warning.....

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby LeDaniel » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:45 pm

DBF68 wrote:Per Komat's website:

[INDENT]Version 1.17 (24.2.2011) - Stable.
Source code

Supports the in-game screenshot functionality. [/INDENT]

So, if you're using version 1.19, you should have screenshot capability. Although, I prefer fraps because, unless I'm remembering incorrectly, you can take multiple screenshots at a time, not just one with PrtScn. If the issue for you with fraps is the frame counter being in the pics, you can disable the frame counter so it doesn't show up in the pics. The PrtScn key is the hard coded key to take .bmp screenshots. I don't know why it wouldn't be working.

I have Komat 1.19 version patch, but pushing PrtScn do nothing. Hmmm, some mystery :-). I try reinstal KA, put Komat 1.17 version patch and see, what will happen. Or i install Fraps, and don´t have any troubles :-).

One sidelight - i play KA on my notebook Acer 5742 G ( core i5 2.66 GHz, GT 540) and temperature of core i5 is 95 degrees!!! I think, that engineers of cooling system in my notebook, done very bad work :-(.
i play QB with only two ships... I expect, that my notebook will burn, when i will be in the middle of battle, damn.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:16 pm

LeDaniel wrote:I have Komat 1.19 version patch, but pushing PrtScn do nothing. Hmmm, some mystery :-). I try reinstal KA, put Komat 1.17 version patch and see, what will happen. Or i install Fraps, and don´t have any troubles :-).

One sidelight - i play KA on my notebook Acer 5742 G ( core i5 2.66 GHz, GT 540) and temperature of core i5 is 95 degrees!!! I think, that engineers of cooling system in my notebook, done very bad work :-(.
i play QB with only two ships... I expect, that my notebook will burn, when i will be in the middle of battle, damn.
Before you go through the trouble of reinstalling KA, are you expecting the KA PrtScn screenshot function to work like Fraps in terms of allowing you to take multiple screenshots at a time and having them show up in your KA game directory folder? If that's the result your expecting, the KA screenshot function doesn't work like Fraps. As far as I recall, and with a test of the KA PrtScn function, the KA screenshot function just puts a screenshot on the OS clipboard that you have to manually paste into MS Paint and then save as a bitmap. So, if you were expecting Fraps functionality from the KA screenshot capability, it's no where near as good.

On your notebook, is that temperature 95 degrees Celsius or Farenheit? I'm assuming you mean Celsius, which still isn't good. You might want search Intel's website for a spec sheet on that particular "notebook" processor and see what it's maximum internal thermal junction (Tj) temperature can be before damaging the processor. Although, you never really want to have the processor get to that temperature level in the first place.

For experimentation sake, you might want to take a look at where all the notebook air cooling inlets are located and make sure it's on a surface that gives maximum air inlet exposure while playing KA. The flipside is that it's a notebook and not even a laptop. So, you're not going to get workhorse performance from a notebook. Although, you'd think something like today's notebooks could handle something like KA without breaking a CPU sweat.

I thought Intel based notebooks used the Atom processors, but if you mean laptop, I've seen Intel based laptops advertised with i3's and i5's in them. You might check your country's/Europe's version of Newegg.com and see if there's some kind of a notebook/laptop cooling accessory worth purchasing if you want to play KA on your notebook. Maybe there's either a platform or USB fan accessory you can attach to force more air in the inlet closest to the processor. You notebook's user manual should give you a specsheet to find approximately where the processor is located so you could place such a USB fan accessory.

As far as being concerned about the notebook processor burning out while trying to play KA, "theoretically", your notebook should spontaneously shutdown when the processor core exceeds it's maximum Tj rated temp. Based on my overclocking experience with my current system to play Crysis Wars online, when my AMD triple core processor exceeded its maximum Tj temp, the processor built-in safety feature initiated a system shutdown command and my computer shutdown without warning. So, I had to experiment with what the highest GHz capability I could get for gameplay that wouldn't result in a system shutdown to save the processor. 3.5 GHz was my safe and stable ceiling for my current processor. Although, that temp was best played during the winter season when I could open a window for added cooling. A lower GHz was better for the summer months when the last thing I'd want to do is open a window. ;)

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby LeDaniel » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:37 pm

I habituated on Win XP in KA push PrtScn and capture screen saved in KA directory in sreenshot folder. Never mind, i´m using Fraps.

High temperature... I discover, that my notebook has low dimension of cooling capacity (sorry, i don´t know, how to explain it, but i think, you understand me :) ). I try to play AvP and Bioshock and my GPU has temperature about 95 degrees celsius. I tell about it my friend, he is IT engineer and he told me - producer -ACER - wont save the money and push price of notebook down, so he put cooling kit of GPU and CPU to minimal level of technician specification by intel and Nvidia. If i play older game, not too much demanding, temperature of GPU and CPU is in normal level (about 70-80 degrees).

KA and high temperature. Today, i try to play KA in 1366x768 on notebook screen,
- QB, two ships, planetary ring terrain, hard difficult - 98 degrees celisus CPU, 60 degrees celsius GPU
than play KA in 1024x768, the same scenario and temperature was - 67 CPU, 58 GPU.
Now, i have suspicius, that KOMAT´s wrapper and program support with wide sreen resolution overtax my CPU. My fried, who works as programator tell me , that wrapper could be bad writed.

I will do more test with resolution and give here my piece of knowledge.

I don´t say, that KOMAT´s wrapper is bad, only, that on my laptot, if i play in widescreen, is too much overtaxing my CPU. I glad, that somenone reborn KA and KOMAT has my big thanks.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:03 pm

LeDaniel wrote:High temperature... I discover, that my notebook has low dimension of cooling capacity (sorry, i don´t know, how to explain it, but i think, you understand me :) ). I try to play AvP and Bioshock and my GPU has temperature about 95 degrees celsius. I tell about it my friend, he is IT engineer and he told me - producer -ACER - wont save the money and push price of notebook down, so he put cooling kit of GPU and CPU to minimal level of technician specification by intel and Nvidia. If i play older game, not too much demanding, temperature of GPU and CPU is in normal level (about 70-80 degrees).
I think the predominant issue is that it's a notebook computer that's geared more towards task programs than it it is gaming. If it was marketed as a gaming notebook/laptop, you probably wouldn't see temps that high. Also, as your friend more or less said, it's got a very small form factor and not much room to work with when it comes to pulling heat away from the CPU and GPU and dissipating heat from the cramped internal component area.

The only other thing I can think that might be an issue is whether or not the cpu and gpu heatsinks have any thermal interface material (tim) under them to melt and meld with the cpu protective cover. I've read of instances where some computer reviewers have opened up a retail computer system only to find tim missing from the under side of a cpu heatsink. So, that scenario is a possibility and you can only find out if that's the case by opening up your notebook. With the small form factor of that notebook, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the cpu has passive cooling by way of a small fan blowing air in the direction of the cpu's heatsink instead of being physically mounted to the heatsink due to space confinement.

If you choose to open up the notebook to see if the heatsink has any tim applied, it doesn't take much effort to determine if any is present. If there isn't any tim applied to the underside of the cpu heatsink, the heatsink should easily come off the cpu after you've removed any screws holding it in place if there are any present. If the heatsink resists being moved or lifted off the cpu "with a very light pull", don't force it and leave it alone. In that case, there is more than likely tim on the underside of the heatsink.

One other thing you might check is the notebook specsheets to see where the fans are placed if they are shown in a diagram. Maybe a fan isn't working that provides cooling air to the cpu heatsink. A fan blade could be stuck by colliding with something or there could be some debris in the way causing it to not work properly. Also, check the air flow vents to make sure they're not clogged with lint, hair, and fuzz.

Those are the only things I can think of for now to check. :)

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby LeDaniel » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:19 pm

DBF68 wrote:
The only other thing I can think that might be an issue is whether or not the cpu and gpu heatsinks have any thermal interface material (tim) under them to melt and meld with the cpu protective cover. I've read of instances where some computer reviewers have opened up a retail computer system only to find tim missing from the under side of a cpu heatsink. So, that scenario is a possibility and you can only find out if that's the case by opening up your notebook. With the small form factor of that notebook, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if the cpu has passive cooling by way of a small fan blowing air in the direction of the cpu's heatsink instead of being physically mounted to the heatsink due to space confinement.

If you choose to open up the notebook to see if the heatsink has any tim applied, it doesn't take much effort to determine if any is present. If there isn't any tim applied to the underside of the cpu heatsink, the heatsink should easily come off the cpu after you've removed any screws holding it in place if there are any present. If the heatsink resists being moved or lifted off the cpu "with a very light pull", don't force it and leave it alone. In that case, there is more than likely tim on the underside of the heatsink.

One other thing you might check is the notebook specsheets to see where the fans are placed if they are shown in a diagram. Maybe a fan isn't working that provides cooling air to the cpu heatsink. A fan blade could be stuck by colliding with something or there could be some debris in the way causing it to not work properly. Also, check the air flow vents to make sure they're not clogged with lint, hair, and fuzz.

Those are the only things I can think of for now to check. :)

So, i check everythink and. And everythink in notebook is allright. I was in store, where i bought notebook and technician told me, that my notebook isn´t perfomence for gaming, but for common office work. I disassemble notebook and check heatsick of GPU and CPU and is looking good. CPU and GPU have passive cooler heatsick, join with one heatpipe, and in the middle of this is small small fan, which blow air out. There was a little dust, so i vacuum it out. I wondering, how is cooling system smallll :eek: . I look for cooling system of MSI and ASUS gaming notebook/laptot, and their system is much bigger, and have better cooling capacity of course.

Thats about notebook, so, he has small perfomence cooling capacity.

I do a few test with resolution.
QB match, planetary ring, 5 ships vs 5 ships
-1024x768 - temperature in celsius CPU - 66, GPU - 58
-1280x1024 - CPU - 68, GPU 59
-1366x768 - CPU - 73, GPU 61
-1280x720 - CPU - 71, GPU 58

So, at first, i don´t know, why is temperature suddenly low, and i note that i was start KA start up screen at the same time, when i was playing. I have configure "one click" on icon (no standart double click) and i clicked double, i think. I don´t know, why system Win 7 or Intel CPU working/computing so hard, but that was problem with my high temperature.

Now, i playing normal, in 1280x768, max detail, MQB with 30 ships and with temperature about CPU 75 and GPU 63 degrees celsius :cool: .

I´m sorry for false alarm and thanks for advices ;) .

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:17 pm

[quote="LeDaniel"]So, i check everythink and. And everythink in notebook is allright. I was in store, where i bought notebook and technician told me, that my notebook isn´t perfomence for gaming, but for common office work. I disassemble notebook and check heatsick of GPU and CPU and is looking good. CPU and GPU have passive cooler heatsick, join with one heatpipe, and in the middle of this is small small fan, which blow air out. There was a little dust, so i vacuum it out. I wondering, how is cooling system smallll :eek: . I look for cooling system of MSI and ASUS gaming notebook/laptot, and their system is much bigger, and have better cooling capacity of course.

Thats about notebook, so, he has small perfomence cooling capacity.

I do a few test with resolution.
QB match, planetary ring, 5 ships vs 5 ships
-1024x768 - temperature in celsius CPU - 66, GPU - 58
-1280x1024 - CPU - 68, GPU 59
-1366x768 - CPU - 73, GPU 61
-1280x720 - CPU - 71, GPU 58

So, at first, i don´t know, why is temperature suddenly low, and i note that i was start KA start up screen at the same time, when i was playing. I have configure "one click" on icon (no standart double click) and i clicked double, i think. I don´t know, why system Win 7 or Intel CPU working/computing so hard, but that was problem with my high temperature.

Now, i playing normal, in 1280x768, max detail, MQB with 30 ships and with temperature about CPU 75 and GPU 63 degrees celsius :cool: .

I´m sorry for false alarm and thanks for advices ]No problem. I figured the biggest issue was the notebook not being a gaming system. Even so, I'm glad you found what seems to be a good workaround by playing at a lower resolution. Since a lot of notebook and laptop screens aren't much bigger than 15 or 17 inches (x number of centimeters), 1280 x 768 should look fantastic.

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby LeDaniel » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:21 am

DBF68 wrote:No problem. I figured the biggest issue was the notebook not being a gaming system. Even so, I'm glad you found what seems to be a good workaround by playing at a lower resolution. Since a lot of notebook and laptop screens aren't much bigger than 15 or 17 inches (x number of centimeters), 1280 x 768 should look fantastic.

My notebook/laptot has 1366x768 resolution, KA looks very good, but i prefer gaming on external LCD monitor 19 inches - 1280x1024. Sometime, i look on internet for 20 inches monitor with 1600x1200 resolution, not buy it yet. I found one for 1800 Kc / about 90 $ . 4:3 21 inches monitor cost new about 1000 $ , thats very expensive :eek:

I have ON 16 Aniso filtering and 32 CS antialiasing, models of ship and textures looks great.
Yesterday a i meet my friend, he has small common notebook with Core i3 and integrated Graphis Intel GMA. I Try to install and lounch KA. I was suprised, that on his graphic was active "PARTICLE EMMITERS" . I don´t see this effect from time, when i use GF 6800 in my old computer. I think on Nvidia GPU from GF 3 titanium to todays GTX 580, doesn´t support it.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:21 pm

LeDaniel wrote:My notebook/laptot has 1366x768 resolution, KA looks very good, but i prefer gaming on external LCD monitor 19 inches - 1280x1024. Sometime, i look on internet for 20 inches monitor with 1600x1200 resolution, not buy it yet. I found one for 1800 Kc / about 90 $ . 4:3 21 inches monitor cost new about 1000 $ , thats very expensive :eek:

I have ON 16 Aniso filtering and 32 CS antialiasing, models of ship and textures looks great.

Yesterday a i meet my friend, he has small common notebook with Core i3 and integrated Graphis Intel GMA. I Try to install and lounch KA. I was suprised, that on his graphic was active "PARTICLE EMMITERS" . I don´t see this effect from time, when i use GF 6800 in my old computer. I think on Nvidia GPU from GF 3 titanium to todays GTX 580, doesn´t support it.
A non-widescreen 20" LCD monitor might be fine. From experience with a 20" LCD widescreen monitor, it seemed small, especially after upgrading from a 19" CRT monitor.

Because my LG 20" LCD widescreen monitor had a ghost like haze on it that was a known defect, LG swapped out that monitor for a new one. Much to my surprise, they sent me a 24" LCD widesceen monitor. Well, I was thrilled at first, but after putting it on my desk that has plenty of room and an area strictily dedicated as a monitor stand, I thought the monitor was little too big.

So, if I were to get another LCD widescreen monitor, I'd probably go with a 22" or 23" monitor. When it comes to computer monitors, I'm just not one of those people that thinks bigger is better. For me, there's more than enough desktop space with those smaller sized monitors.

As for the Nvidia GPU video cards of today not supporting KA, yeah that's been the case for awhile. I like you have a Nvidia 6800GT that I bought specifically to play KA back in 2008. Then, I found workaround that got rid of some of the annoying experiences that still plagued the game with newer hardware. It's not workaround I'd advocate or use in full now. Instead, I'd see if making individual hardware profiles in Windows XP might eliminate a lot of the hoops you'd have to go through in switching between video cards to play KA.

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby LeDaniel » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Funny story with your LG 20" LCD :D !

I don´t like widescreen monitors, are to much flat and loooong. For many years i used 4:3 monitor from 14" up to 19 " CRT and i ´m habituated on large work place. Now i have big place on right and left, but if i want to read something or watch some bigger picture, i must srcoll up and down, i hate it.

I think, i relly buy 4:3 LCD 20" monitor and i will be happy :rolleyes: .

I don´t switch graphic card, i had different case with hardware for playing KA and i switch cable from keyboard, mouse and monitor :cool: . First i have Geforce FX 5900 , than Geforce 6800Ultra, there was latest GPU which i found with WIN 98 support. I´m glad, that today i don´t have to switch Computer, KA is playable on everythink.

Return to Screenshots & Videos