NGA, no way!

Nadesico
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

NGA, no way!

Postby Nadesico » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:44 am

G'day, long time no post, yo may remember me as the guy who made the DS9 Klingon Wars for NGA's Alpha Quadrant package. I descided recently to download the Nemesis package and try it out, to see whta it was like, and i have to say i was sorely unimpressed. Not to criticize the hard work you all put into it, i'm sure it was many months and you made sacrifices, but i can understand why noone plays this online. Let me explain...

First off, graphically, i was very pleased with it, i was especialyl impressed with the upgraded model quality, textures were very nice, except for being a tad too white on the sovereign. However, someone seems to have taken a shot of something when they made the photon torpedoes, either that or their computer screen was on widescreen when they made it. The Nemesis photon torpedoes, which are supposed to be emulated by this image, look nothing like orange textureless ovals with a luminous value. In nemesis, the torpedoes look ovaloid because of the motion dithering distortion generated by the cameras rapid change of direction. I double checked this on the Nemesis DVD when i freeze framed torpedo shots by the enterprise, they are still the same old star shaped as they appear in the series, except the star is harder to see due to a spheroid glow from the centre of the torpedoes, rather then the ovaloid. That may need to be fixed in another release.

However, the sovereign class model was very underwhealming, people seem to get the idea that it is cool to have to constantly manage power settings in the middle of a battle, even with the macros, it is a very ineffective way to fight having to constantly switch to adapt power. A sovereign class was designed to have full shields and weapons while being able to attain the maximum possible impulse and warp speeds or the ship would be useless. Why make such a powerful ship if it has to constantly have power reconfigurations. Same goes for the scimitar and the valdore. Players want to be able to go in, and not have to worry about weapons going down or shields collapsing unless their power plants are actually damaged. It's a game, not supposed to be a perfect representation of the trek universe.

While i understand the need for fewer ships, a lot of people are sordidly unimpressed with the fact that it took almost 12 months to release the nemesis pack with such a limited amount of ships, that is why people have drifted away from NGA. This pack should have come out about 6 months earlier and been an expansion of the AQ1 pack, not a completely new set.

Also, many physics of the game are out of whack, it feels like someone has taken the Yamato battleship physics and slapped them into a sovereign class mesh, sovereign class ship manuver far faster then the mod allows it, especially seen in nemesis and first contact. Plus the mass drift is too annoying to allow a person to actually get a volley off at a target without it flying off into space, uselessly.

Also, it seems that even though following the proper installation instructions there are several graphical errors in the game play consoles and the menus. Either you guys missed these graphics and fixed them in Noncanon 1, or you were in too much of a hurry to rush this out and didnt fix it.

Personally, i think there were fewer errors in AQ1 then you guys seemed to think and it would probably have been easier off to continue with repairing AQ1, and used the nemesis pack as an addon to it.

So if it's alright with you guys, i along with most other KA players, are going to stick with AQ1 until either these errors are fixed, or something new and improved comes out later on.

Hidden Agenda
General
General

Postby Hidden Agenda » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:25 am

Right first off, with regard to the Photon Torpedoes - sd100ac sent these to me and I took one look at them and decided I wanted them in place of the old torpedoes. We feel that they look good and to put it bluntly it's our decision.

The power settings may not be to your liking. Many people will come to the defence of NGA in that area. Again these will not change.

If people are sordidly unimpressed with the fact that there were less ships this time round then they can either:

a: start modding themselves and find out the amount of time it takes to balance modding in with your home/social life.

b: go screw themselves.

It seems to me that you failed to notice the new sounds, the new launch screen, all the new systems, the new gfx. These didn't just appear - we had to make them for the new release and that's part of what you get with the Nemesis release and why it took longer.

There will not be fewer ships when we have finished - just for now. There are another 11 or so ships in the Non Cannon pack and we are nearing 4 or 5 releases with about 30 - 40 more ships.

NGA has gone back to KA manouverability values, yes. This actually improves the gameplay. As far as Sovereign manouverability I have granted it the manouverability of a Ulysses which easily suffices. People bang on about it's manouverability - in no part of Nemesis does it make really tight manouvers. The current NGA Sovereign infact flys very like the Nemesis Sovereign and is less manouverable than the Scimtar and Valdore as the film demonstrates. Move at 1/4 impulse and you will be able to pull off fairly tight turns.

It's not just the Sovereign anyway. The Negh'var will have Sword of Kahless manouverability. The Valdore has War Eagle manouverability. Manouverability of every ship is based off KA originals which were set quite well.

I think that you never noticed the huge balancing errors that existed in the original NGA, a fact that I am fine to admit seeing as I am responsible for all balancing. NGA AQ1 pales into insignificance when compared to the latest releases. Take this information from people who know a lot about KA modding.

As far as missing graphics you'll need to state what you think is missing. No one else has mentioned this so I can only assume that you see something missing where there is actually nothing missing or that you're just looking for faults where there are none by now.

As far as sticking to AQ1 you are the only person that has spoken in this manner about the new NGA. I can also inform you that you will be missing out on a lot if you decide not to go with NGA(2).

I think a fair few of the NGA team would feel insulted, even personally insulted by your comments.

Finally, something new and improved has been released - no one else would disagree with me on that. You've already downloaded and rejected it.
-----------------------------
You know the difference between
me & you? I make this look good!

Nadesico
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Nadesico » Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:52 am

if you want feedback and feel insulted by it, why bother asking for it in the first place?

as i said, i do not mean to offend anyone. And by the graphic errors, the main game consoles and menus remained the traditional KA menus, with only a single graphic in teh background, scrolling that was different. The splash screen was a hap-hazardous jumble of NGA and KA images, and the buttons, when selected reverted to classic KA imagery.

As for the sounds, they were very impressive as well, i couldnt tell whether they were extracted from movie/tv show clips, or authentic sounds from other games.

As for balancing errors, i noticed very few in AQ1, and there were no balancing issues in NGA, except really for power settings and macros, as well as a few other minor weapon strengths.

Hidden Agenda
General
General

Postby Hidden Agenda » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:31 am

Saying that you are sordidly unimpressed with the lack of content in something is hardly feedback.

With regard to the launch screen - you must delete your bitmaps folder before putting the new bitmaps folder in. Do that or search for the KA original .bmp files and remove them. Then you will see what the Launch screen is supposed to look like.

The Feds were too strong in AQ1. This has been altered for subsequent releases. As you said this is a game, not an exact Star Trek simulator and if we were to balance it as Star Trek appears to portray then it would take two or three Negh'vars to handle just the one Sovereign which is a stupid idea - Star Trek always attempts to make the Feds look better than they really should be because they can't have the humans losing. Would be too realistic and not go with their 'the future is all nice and happy' idea.

There were huge balancing errors in AQ1. Every ship is more evenly matched in NGA(2). All shp files have been made by a shp file builder so they all have the same power ratings. I'm not a particularly good KA player but I find it pretty easy to fight with the current power. If you can't run at full impulse with full shields and weapons you must be trying to allocate additional power elsewhere so forget about that and just go into the fight with your standard sensors, ECM etc.... You will be able to pick up enemies on your sensors before they come into weapons range. Also if your finding it hard to detect an enemy then his use of ECM means he will have to be compromising elsewhere.
-----------------------------
You know the difference between
me & you? I make this look good!

Nadesico
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Nadesico » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:40 am

well i can say that that was a bit of a rude statement for me to have made (i was very ill when i tested and read the mod, and i was snapping at everything that day), so i again apologise.

as for the rest, i'll try the bitmaps bit later, when i reinstall KA next. As for the rest, you guys cant be persuaded to change anything so i dont see any point arguing :)

dwyspock
Major
Major

Postby dwyspock » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:23 am

As far as power goes I think this nga is way closer to what we see in tv and the movies. How many times have we seen a battle where they take a few hits and the captain says divert power from here and there to compensate for a loss of power somewhere else? That's exactly what happens in the new and improved nga. I think it's great.
Visit my site:

Dwyspock's Klingon Academy Mods
[
Computer: "Welcome to the USS Yorktown." "Enjoy your starship adventure." "And please take all wrappers and other refuse with you when you leave."

Captain Scott: "Nae matter what I do, I canna seem to turn the damned thing off!"

Return to Next Generation Academy