Change resolution

abc123
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Change resolution

Postby abc123 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:36 pm

Hi guys,

have a problem to change sesolution. it seems that resolution not changed if i set it in option to 1680x1050. I used a special version to isntall the gmae where a preresoluion patch was integrated. Now i think it prevents working the new launcher option settings. is their a manuell way to change resolution in the game files? greetings

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Change resolution

Postby LeDaniel » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:04 am

abc123 wrote:Hi guys,

have a problem to change sesolution. it seems that resolution not changed if i set it in option to 1680x1050. I used a special version to isntall the gmae where a preresoluion patch was integrated. Now i think it prevents working the new launcher option settings. is their a manuell way to change resolution in the game files? greetings

You can change resolution anly in SETUP menu in KA launcher.

abc123
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby abc123 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:17 pm

Thats the problem itried different resolution but it seems nothing changed. I become sceptic casue i saw vids and all is sharper in this vids. My game looks blurred compered with them. So i try different reso. and nothing changed (but their should be a difference between 1680x1050 and 640x480. i believed that to high aa make the game blurry but now i think i have to chang ereso manuel cause launcher dont work in this case (aa and as settings are working)

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby LeDaniel » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:48 pm

abc123 wrote:Thats the problem itried different resolution but it seems nothing changed. I become sceptic casue i saw vids and all is sharper in this vids. My game looks blurred compered with them. So i try different reso. and nothing changed (but their should be a difference between 1680x1050 and 640x480. i believed that to high aa make the game blurry but now i think i have to chang ereso manuel cause launcher dont work in this case (aa and as settings are working)

Try to reinstall KA in WIN 10 SAFE mod a try it. I dont know what can be wrong. I never here about this problém :-/ .

BirdOPrey5
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby BirdOPrey5 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:22 pm

I'm having same issue. Would think the resolution would be set in some file but not found the location yet. The launcher doesn't show me any option to change resolutions.

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:05 pm

You don't see a screen resolution drop down list when hitting settings on the launcher? Set to 1920*1200 in this screenshot:

Resolution values live in the registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\14 Degrees East\Klingon Academy
Check out xRes and yRes, before changing these make sure you select decimal and not hexadecimal.

Registry keys are automatically redirected from the protected "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\14 Degrees East\Klingon Academy" to the VirtualStore at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\14 Degrees East\Klingon Academy" (WOW6432Node on x64).

carlos
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby carlos » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:46 am

Hello I`ve also a problem.

Setup shows not that listed window from post before.
I have only Video and can select "Emulated Device" as graphical device.
Checking resolution button end up in 4:3 resolutions 1280x1024, 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x680

Windows 10 install, Latest patch from this community is installed

Game somehow is working but cant skip Intro Video or game itself in simulator.

May I did something wrong?

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:54 pm

The latest combined patch does not seem to have been applied, have you installed this? downloads/showcat.php?id=14

carlos
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby carlos » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:03 pm

Yes. This patched I used. I says 10 files patched. But it seems the ne exe files were not copied into game folder.

So copied the stuff manually.
Ka Launch is starting fine, but when i try to change settings I got the follwong error messages.

carlos
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby carlos » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:08 pm

I forgot: German version and Windows 10 professional. Tried wothout compatibilllity settings and with administrator and different OS settings. But nothing helped to fix this.
Net Framwork 4.0 is installed.
USing Commodo internet security. But its not complaining.

Should I install in safe mode?

I`m not sure with the instructions in the readme.

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:04 am

I would uninstall the game, delete the folder in program files, reinstall with running the setup as Admin then running the latest patch listed on the main ka.com page, also running as Admin.

And turn your A/V off in the process (I would just uninstall it, but that's just me)

carlos
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby carlos » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:45 am

Very Strange. I was trying around with my old Star Fleet Academy copy to bring it to work.
After that I tried again with Klingon Academy. And finally it is working. I dont now what happened. MAybe Antivir Issue. But why its working now.
Nevertheless, even my Old Sidewinder Force Feedback Joystick is working with effects.
Now I have a new problem. How can I stop a fight in Simulator.
ESC ist not working. Did I missed something or is still something wrong.

IP.S: I want to thank you for the fast answers. Very positive surprising for such an old game.

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:49 am

carlos wrote:I forgot: German version and Windows 10 professional. Tried wothout compatibilllity settings and with administrator and different OS settings. But nothing helped to fix this.
Net Framwork 4.0 is installed.
USing Commodo internet security. But its not complaining.

Should I install in safe mode?

I`m not sure with the instructions in the readme.

This maybe unrelated to your issues but its worth mentioning:

The Interplay installer for Klingon Academy requests administrator permissions on installation only and the combined patch requests it on installation only, beyond that no administrator permissions are required to run the launcher or game. There is never any need to manually "Run as administrator" or set any compatibility settings (same goes for anything involving safe mode), UAC asks for it when needed and these are the only two times it will be requested. On Windows 7 and above, Windows is smart enough to deal with a program wanting to write configuration values to what are now protected locations on the filesystem and in the registry.

If the game tries to create or modify its configuration files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\14 Degrees East\Klingon Academy", the request is redirected from this protected location to the VirtualStore at "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\14 Degrees East\Klingon Academy".

Registry keys are automatically redirected from the protected "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\14 Degrees East\Klingon Academy" to the VirtualStore at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\14 Degrees East\Klingon Academy" (WOW6432Node on x64).

It's best not to try and work against file and registry virtualization by forcing Klingon Academy (or the launcher) to run as administrator.

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:00 am

carlos wrote:Very Strange. I was trying around with my old Star Fleet Academy copy to bring it to work.
After that I tried again with Klingon Academy. And finally it is working. I dont now what happened. MAybe Antivir Issue. But why its working now.
Nevertheless, even my Old Sidewinder Force Feedback Joystick is working with effects.
Now I have a new problem. How can I stop a fight in Simulator.
ESC ist not working. Did I missed something or is still something wrong.

IP.S: I want to thank you for the fast answers. Very positive surprising for such an old game.

Not sure what could be causing your Esc not to work, never seen that happen. See my post above and make sure you have removed any run as admin or compatibility settings and under the in game settings try resetting key binds to default. I'm glad your up and running mostly :)

The launcher error message you posted may have indicated WMI repository corruption or something else wrong with the WMI service on your installation of Windows, if this was then the issue the launcher was not the cause but I should probably make it deal with such an error more gracefully in the future. Something as simple as reboot may have resolved the WMI issue (if it was that), please let me know if it happens again.

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:17 pm

carlos wrote:Yes. This patched I used. I says 10 files patched. But it seems the ne exe files were not copied into game folder.

So copied the stuff manually.
Ka Launch is starting fine, but when i try to change settings I got the follwong error messages.

Just to confirm I was able to replicate this exact error message by stopping the Windows Management Instrumentation service, something locally on your PC must have stopped the service or temporarily broke it in some other way. The replacement launcher makes use of this service to get information on the graphics card vendor ID so that it can mirror the behaviour of the Komat's wrapper with ATI cards.

carlos
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby carlos » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:25 pm

Esc for for movie is working. Reason was indeed one compabillity setting. But still cant stop battle.
Maybe I do something wrong.

Scenario:

Open a fast battlenin Simulator, but cant abandon battle and returnnto Menü or optional.
Ive checked Manual but die not find the answer.
Is it ESC to pressen or something else?

ESC still not working.

carlos
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby carlos » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:38 pm

Only Selfdestruct gives me the possibillity to return to menu.

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:04 pm

carlos wrote:Esc for for movie is working. Reason was indeed one compabillity setting. But still cant stop battle.
Maybe I do something wrong.

Scenario:

Open a fast battlenin Simulator, but cant abandon battle and returnnto Menü or optional.
Ive checked Manual but die not find the answer.
Is it ESC to pressen or something else?

ESC still not working.

Have you removed all compatibility settings from ka.exe and kalaunch.exe? As far as I know ESC cannot be remapped in game but it might be worth resetting the keyboard binding too. Do you have any third party software running that could be related to your keyboard?
I'm telling you Teal'C if we don't find a way out of this soon I'm gonna loose it. Loose it, it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, 3 fries short of a happy meal, WHACKO!

Jaeger
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby Jaeger » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:12 am

SO, there's no solution for it? Or rather, there is, but there's no way I can use it because I installed it differently? :(

Return to Technical Support