KA Vista fixes

KOMAT
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby KOMAT » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:35 pm

Highlander wrote:Im running x64bit and the 1.02 patch wont run, anyone got a pre extracted patch?

That executable is just a self-extracting zip archive so you can use 7-zip or WinRAR to extract its content.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:06 pm

Highlander wrote:Im running x64bit and the 1.02 patch wont run, anyone got a pre extracted patch?
Try FilePlanet:

http://www.fileplanet.com/51103/0/0/0/1/section/Patches

Addendum: Nvm. I wasn't awake enough to understand what you trully wanted. As Komat said, you just unpack that 1.02.exe file with either of those two file compression programs and dump the files into your KA folder. Since the patch.txt file didn't say how to apply the patch, I made my own readme file reminder and placed it in the 1.02 folder:

3:14 AM 2/18/2011

Extact contents to a folder and copy and paste those files to the KA game folder to overwrite files for patching.
Warning, we have entered Neutral Zone, Warning.....

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Hurrey !

Postby LeDaniel » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:35 pm

Díky ! Konečně si můžu po několika letech zahrát nejlepší bojový simluátor ! "Komat" má mou hlubokou poklonu :-) ! Jinak mám KLINGON ACADEMY PATCH 1.03, ROMULAN DAWN a NEXT GENERATION ACADEMY, kdyby někdo chtěl (stabilní je sice jen RD, ale i ty ostatní se dá hrát :-).
Thanks very much :-) ! If someone wont, i have KLINGON ACADEMY PATCH 1.03 (MANY SHIPS, INCLUDING NEW GRAPHIC OF EXPLOSIONS, ETC.., RAR 263 MB), ROMULAN DAWN (ROMULAN STYLE ACADEMY, 6 MISSIONS, RAR 65 MB) AND NEXT GENERATION ACADEMY (ONLY NEXT GENERATION SHIPS, PLAYABLE ONLY SKIRMISH - RAR 529 MB).

Grate, now is working ! Lets kick some space ass :-) !

RacerX
Commander
Commander

Postby RacerX » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:08 pm

WOW i had to do a re-instal on my ne comp just for this break through it worked perfect first time..kudos and a deep heart felt thank you.. now if i can get my mod kit off my old hard drive..i'll be playin everyday again =)

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:57 pm

RacerX wrote:WOW i had to do a re-instal on my ne comp just for this break through it worked perfect first time..kudos and a deep heart felt thank you.. now if i can get my mod kit off my old hard drive..i'll be playin everyday again =)

If you haven't already, make sure you enable those environment variables he has listed on his webpage. They make a world of difference when it comes to taking the jaggies out of the ship models. Also, most of the environment variables don't need to be set to a value of 0 or 1:

http://www.klingonacademy.com/showthread.php?p=303290#post303290

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Re: KA Vista fixes

Postby teeth_03 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:21 pm

Ive been having issues playing online, there are times where people crash to desktop at the same time with ka.exe stopped responding.

Its weird that it does it at the same time with multiple players.

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:15 am

Prob'ly YOUR fault since yor often the host!

What does patch 1.03 do? I can't find any readme to it. I would guess everyone playing MP would need it? Or dowe do only vanilla?

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:57 am

Its a mod, not a patch

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:53 am

Komat, I've got a couple of questions about these environment variables:

D3DEMU_ANISOTROPY - The value must be number greater than or equal to 1 specifying quality of the filtering (1 - minimal). Alternatively a max might be used to indicate maximal supported quality. Quality values above the supported range are clamped to nearest valid value.

D3DEMU_MSAA_QUALITY - The value must be number greater than or equal to 1 specifying quality of the anti-aliasing. Alternatively a max might be used to indicate maximal supported quality. Quality values above the supported range are clamped to nearest valid value.

Other than moving over to WXPP x64 this time last year, my system specs and KA playing methods are pretty much the same as documented in a previous post:

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=33224&p=302586#p302586

What is the range of environment variable values I can use between 1 and max for D3DEMU_ANISOTROPY and D3DEMU_MSAA_QUALITY? At 1680 x 1050, the max variable value causes large frame rate drops (10+) when I'm in view of a modded ship that is cloaked. The variable value of 0 or 1 causes only 1 to 2 frames to drop, but the visual quality of the ships isn't nearly as nice as when the max variable value is used. So, I'm trying to find a sweet spot number that results in the smallest number of frame rate drops, while still maintaining a reasonable high level of visual quality. Interestingly enough, stock ships that cloak while in view don't cause a frame rate drop when using the max variable value.

If it's possible to know what the supported range is of a video card, would the variable value range only consist of whole numbers or would it also consist of decimal numbers?

KOMAT
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby KOMAT » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:37 pm

DBF68 wrote:What is the range of environment variable values I can use between 1 and max for D3DEMU_ANISOTROPY and D3DEMU_MSAA_QUALITY?

For D3DEMU_ANISOTROPY the maximal value supported by all reasonable cards is 15.
For D3DEMU_MSAA_QUALITY the maximal value on my GTX 460 is 8.

The values need to be whole numbers. If you set the parameters to max and check the log, maximal value of D3DEMU_ANISOTROPY will be (Y-1) using Y from line "HW:Using DX anisotropy: Y" and maximal D3DEMU_MSAA_QUALITY will be (Y+1) using Y from line "HW:Using DX MSAA quality: Y".

At 1680 x 1050, the max variable value causes large frame rate drops (10+) when I'm in view of a modded ship that is cloaked. The variable value of 0 or 1 causes only 1 to 2 frames to drop, but the visual quality of the ships isn't nearly as nice as when the max variable value is used. So, I'm trying to find a sweet spot number that results in the smallest number of frame rate drops, while still maintaining a reasonable high level of visual quality. Interestingly enough, stock ships that cloak while in view don't cause a frame rate drop when using the max variable value.

When the cloaking effect is applied, the game waits until all necessary rendering is done before it can retrieve background image and use it to create the effect. With simpler geometry of the stock ships, the resulting stall might be hidden by something else.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:10 am

KOMAT wrote:
DBF68 wrote:What is the range of environment variable values I can use between 1 and max for D3DEMU_ANISOTROPY and D3DEMU_MSAA_QUALITY?

For D3DEMU_ANISOTROPY the maximal value supported by all reasonable cards is 15.
For D3DEMU_MSAA_QUALITY the maximal value on my GTX 460 is 8.

The values need to be whole numbers. If you set the parameters to max and check the log, maximal value of D3DEMU_ANISOTROPY will be (Y-1) using Y from line "HW:Using DX anisotropy: Y" and maximal D3DEMU_MSAA_QUALITY will be (Y+1) using Y from line "HW:Using DX MSAA quality: Y".

At 1680 x 1050, the max variable value causes large frame rate drops (10+) when I'm in view of a modded ship that is cloaked. The variable value of 0 or 1 causes only 1 to 2 frames to drop, but the visual quality of the ships isn't nearly as nice as when the max variable value is used. So, I'm trying to find a sweet spot number that results in the smallest number of frame rate drops, while still maintaining a reasonable high level of visual quality. Interestingly enough, stock ships that cloak while in view don't cause a frame rate drop when using the max variable value.

When the cloaking effect is applied, the game waits until all necessary rendering is done before it can retrieve background image and use it to create the effect. With simpler geometry of the stock ships, the resulting stall might be hidden by something else.

Great. Thank you for the info. I was hoping the numerical ranges were going to be something simple to apply. Also, I too thought the issue with cloaked modded ships was probably due to the more complex geometry vs. the near stick figure stock ships. ;)

KOMAT
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Postby KOMAT » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:40 am

After a long time I created a new experimental version (1.21). I was recently notified about problem with smoothness of the movement and some strange FPS cap (about 65FPS) on even a powerful computers. I do not know if I did not notice it previously because I had slower computer or more likely if something did change in the never versions of Windows (I am currently using 8.1) which did trigger this. It seems to be related to accuracy of one from the timing functions (namely GetTickCount) used by the KA. This version of wrapper redirects this function to more accurate one (timeGetTime) which reduces the issue. I had time for only a very basic testing so it is possible that there might be some issues related to this change. If necessary, feature can be disabled using D3DEMU_NO_TIME_REDIRECT environment variable.

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby LeDaniel » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:59 am

Post by KOMAT » 19 Aug 2014 01:40

After a long time I created a new experimental version (1.21). I was recently notified about problem with smoothness of the movement and some strange FPS cap (about 65FPS) on even a powerful computers. I do not know if I did not notice it previously because I had slower computer or more likely if something did change in the never versions of Windows (I am currently using 8.1) which did trigger this. It seems to be related to accuracy of one from the timing functions (namely GetTickCount) used by the KA. This version of wrapper redirects this function to more accurate one (timeGetTime) which reduces the issue. I had time for only a very basic testing so it is possible that there might be some issues related to this change. If necessary, feature can be disabled using D3DEMU_NO_TIME_REDIRECT environment variable.

Can I download it? :)

PS: i found it :) ! and will test it.

Našel jsem to, jdu testovat :)

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:21 am

Incase anyone still needs the patches, the 3 files are here:

http://goodolgaming.com/downloads/index ... atches.zip

Place all 3 files in the Klingon Academy folder, then run the 2 patcher .exe files

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:51 pm

KOMAT wrote:After a long time I created a new experimental version (1.21). I was recently notified about problem with smoothness of the movement and some strange FPS cap (about 65FPS) on even a powerful computers. I do not know if I did not notice it previously because I had slower computer or more likely if something did change in the never versions of Windows (I am currently using 8.1) which did trigger this. It seems to be related to accuracy of one from the timing functions (namely GetTickCount) used by the KA. This version of wrapper redirects this function to more accurate one (timeGetTime) which reduces the issue. I had time for only a very basic testing so it is possible that there might be some issues related to this change. If necessary, feature can be disabled using D3DEMU_NO_TIME_REDIRECT environment variable.

Long after the fact I know, but when you say, "... some strange FPS cap (about 65FPS) on even a powerful computers.", do you mean the cap should be higher, 60 FPS only, or not even exist?

At the moment, while playing KA, I'm trying to figure out why my Nvidia GTX 560 video card is only operating at around half GPU speed, i.e. 405 MHz, and the memory is running at around a 1/3 of normal speed, i.e. 324 MHz. It's only become apparent that it's operating at these speeds while using the OSD function of EVGA's Precision X oc-ing and overvolting software. Although, instead of oc-ing and overvolting the card, I'm actually underclocking it to stock GPU, memory, and shader speeds as a means to determine if my returning TDRs are caused by the card not being able to handle the factory set overclocking speeds. At the moment, things are a lot more stable in terms of the TDRs, which I'm thinking might have been caused by a recent Comodo Internet Security update.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1
Motherboard: ASUS M3N-HT
Memory: OCZ Platinum 4GB DDR2 1066 DC (5 5 5 15 20 2T)
Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Heka 2.8 GHz
Video: EVGA GTX 560 running at stock speeds - Core 850 MHz, Shader 1701 MHz, Memory 1026 MHz (Eff 2,052 MHz)
Video Drivers: Nvidia 341.44 x64 whql
Monitor: LG Flatron W2452T LCD 1920 x 1200 5 ms
Audio: SB X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro

I'll take a screenshot and tuck it in here in a moment.

Actually, I'm going to forego the screenshot and describe what happens. When the loading screen is up, the EVGA Precision X OSD shows:

GPU Clock: 810 MHz
Memory Clock: 2005 MHz
Memory usage: 144 MB
Framerate: 0 FPS

When I've chosen a stock Fed Constitution, a Klingon LC, Planetary Atmosphere, and am facing the oncoming Klingon LC in Chase View or Normal View, EVGA Precision X OSD shows:

GPU Clock: 405 MHz
Memory Clock: 324 MHz
Memory usage: 207 MB
Framerate: 59 FPS

So, I'm not sure if this is supposed to be normal or if I've got some kind of video card / driver underperformance issue.

Update 10/4/2015: Ok, going into Nvidia Control Panel and manually setting the 3D setting of "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance" made the GTX 560 run at full speed. Setting the Vertical sync to Off allowed the framerates to jump up to 100 fps while in Normal View mode and 70 fps in my preferred Chase View mode. For clarification, the 100 fps is without MSAA, FXAA, or Ansiotropy enabled. At the moment, I'm still debating between using Komat's MSAA OS environment setting or the Nvidia driver FXAA setting. Using Komat's Ansiotropy setting or the Nvidia driver Ansiotropy setting doesn't seem to matter either way.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:24 pm

Out of curiosity Komat, are you working with or doing consulting for GOG regarding a KA release using your patches, and if so, are you getting a royalty check? ;)

http://www.gog.com/forum/star_trek_star ... demy/post9

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:36 pm

Interplay themselves are the ones talking to Steam/GOG, I don't think they would let some random Joe schmo be in charge of adding the games in.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:04 pm

teeth_03 wrote:Interplay themselves are the ones talking to Steam/GOG, I don't think they would let some random Joe schmo be in charge of adding the games in.

Most likely right. Just thought it interesting with GOG in Poland, Komat in CZ, and the mention of a KA compatibility wrapper in that post. Thought he might have a small role to play since Interplay didn't care to do anything until there was money involved.

Previous

Return to Technical Support