KA LightWave Programs & Misc Info Resources

DBF68
Commander
Commander

KA LightWave Programs & Misc Info Resources

Postby DBF68 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:54 am

Major Update 5/11/18 - LightWave 6.5b for KA (225 MB):

After hours and hours of research and trial and error effort, I got LW 6.5b to work. The Hub is up and sees both Layout and Modeler. After I put all the important executables in W2K compatibility mode and installed the most current Sentinel System Driver from sentinelcustomer.gemalto.com, Layout stopped crashing on the lwtools3.dll file. So, I’m cautiously optimistic at this point.

For light testing purposes, I opened up Poktarl’s/RK/P81 Excelsior scene file in Layout without a problem. Since I’m a little bit rusty on how to move models around to see the whole ship, I’ve got to re-figure out that info. At the moment, there’s this odd reverse mouse/model motion going on when I try to move the model. I’ll move the mouse right and the model will turn left. So, I have to figure out why its happening.

Strangely enough, I have no idea why Newtek didn’t name the Lightwav.exe program Layout.exe, because that’s exactly what it opens. Initially, I tried renaming Lightwav.exe to Layout.exe, but the program either didn’t open or the Hub didn’t see it. Although, I later renamed Lightwav.exe to Layout.exe again, clicked on Layout.exe, and Layout opened. Then, I closed it, checked to see what the Hub detects, and it sees Layout.exe as a legit program. Now, Layout.exe will start when I double click it from the Hub.

Maybe Layout.exe is working now and is seen by the Hub because I opened it first and then it auto-registered the program name change with the Hub to make it valid. All I can say is, "Yay, no more weird program name!" ;) Switching to Layout in Modeler with the F12 “Switch to Layout” and visa versa works too. So, maybe my previous problem was a fluke or I inadvertently fixed it.

Just to let you know, I haven't fully tested this copy of LW 6.5b to make sure it works with everything because it would take a bit of time and because I'm relatively confident it will work with KA.

Here's what's in LightWave_6.5b_KA.zip

KA Modding Tutorials
- LW 5.6 KA Weapon Placement Guide
- Various Disorganized Unedited Tutorials
LW 6.5 Presets
LW 6.5b Hi-Res Manual.pdf
LW 6.5b Long Install
LW 6.5b Quick Install
LW 7 Ref Card - Might Work for 6.5b.pdf
LW 7.5 Layout & Modeler Flash Tutorials
LW 9.6 Building USS Enterprise
Sentinel_System_Driver_Installer_7.6.0_2017_09_28

Let me know if something doesn't work or if I made a mistake that needs correcting.

-----

April 3rd, 2018, 3:54 pm

Since Scotty recently informed me that Kt’Hyla’s "Phoenix Experimental Shipyards" website is no more, I thought I should finally post these resources and info.

I've been meaning to post and provide these programs and info for awhile, but one thing after another in the real world always gets in the way. Also, I was hoping to find the time to get some LW answers to questions I have detailed in the included "Lightwave 6.5 & 7.5 KA Compatibility" document, but that's been on the back burner for years. So, I'm just going to give you the links to these programs, information, and resources in the hopes you can use them "safely". Because it's been 5 years since I messed around with this stuff, I'd also have to start from square one to get familiar with it. So, if you've got a question, I might be able to answer it, but no guarantee.

Anyway, have fun and enjoy.

FYI: To open these items in a new tab, you have to right click on the link and choose new tab from your browser pop-up menu.

Lightwave 6.5 & 7.5 KA Compatibility.pdf

Myth #1: You can only use LW 5.6 to mod KA ships.

In a nutshell: LW 7.5 Modeler object and Layout scene files, and probably LW 6.5 versions of those files too, can be exported to LW 5.0 Modeler object and LW 5.6 Layout scene file formats that Klingon Academy understands and can use.

LightWave Programs.7z (478 MB)

Folders:

Tutorial: how-to-build-the-u-s-s-enterprise
LightWave 5.6
LightWave 6.5
Lightwave 7.0 Shortcut Cards
LightWave 7.5
LightWave 7.5 Test
Sentinel
LICENSE.KEY
Hypervoxels2.pdf
LightWave History - LightWiki.url

Klingon Academy Modding Manual.pdf

A few years ago, I was working on an information consolidated KA modding manual because I got tired of hunting and pecking through the KA community website for information and insight. I never got around to finishing it, but it does have the SHP file tutorial info along with other things.

Klingon Academy 1.02 Install Instructions for Windows 7-10.pdf
-
Addendum 5/7/18: Oops. I did not do you any favors by not providing some very key tutorials. I've been looking over my stash of KA modding stuff and I noticed I had all these tutorials on a separate hard drive partition that are vital to learning how to mod KA with LW. So, here's the link.

LW_KA_Mod_Tutorials

The sources are varied and I tried to clean up and revise some of the tutorials years ago for better reading and instruction. Apparently, I also got started on a tutorial for the gun additions and modifications I did on Moonraker's K`Tinga, but I never got around to actually doing a write up on it. Still, the pics are visually informative. If I find anything else of value, I'll let you know.

Btw, here's an updated link that works for the history of LW versions to replace the dead url in the LW Programs zipped folder:

LightWave History - The Evolution Of LightWave 3D

Check out the links to the right of the page that might still might lead to useful info.
-
Last edited by DBF68 on Fri May 25, 2018 7:16 am, edited 24 times in total.
Warning, we have entered Neutral Zone, Warning.....

TR'Llailieu
Warrior Recruit
Warrior Recruit

Re: KA LightWave Programs & Misc Info Resources

Postby TR'Llailieu » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:48 am

Hi!

Thanks a lot. Sad, brianmoler.com and phoenix shipyard were my favorite website about KA. What's left now? :shock:

TR'Llailieu
«Nothing seems impossible to ones who undertake such enterprise without embarrasing themselves of success but a person who make a point of honor in doing all efforts to the accomplishment shall also take the most rightful decisions. I expose nothing I would not execute myself.» [Pierre Lemoyne d'Iberville 1661-1706]

«No! I don't have another answer for your general otherwise than the one given by the mouths of my cannons and the shots of my rifles.» [Governor Louis Buade, count of Frontenac 1672 – 1682]

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:25 am

Well, I was going to say Teeth's KA web page:

http://goodolgaming.com/downloads/index.php?dir=ka/

but I get a 404 when trying to access it. So, back tracking up the url, there is a KA folder with zipped a folder of 11 ships that are primarily Phoenix Experimental Shipyards based.

http://goodolgaming.com/downloads/

There's an email admin link on his main page you could try and ask where the brunt of the other stuff is, because he has or had a lot of TNG ships.

http://goodolgaming.com/

Trey3
Captain
Captain

Postby Trey3 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:15 am

thank you so much for all this info. I've been looking for something like this for a long time. info all in one place. thank you so much sir.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:47 am

Trey3 wrote:thank you so much for all this info. I've been looking for something like this for a long time. info all in one place. thank you so much sir.

You're welcome. I know there have been tutorials and info on this site for a long while, but to my knowledge, it was never consolidated into a single document or location source. It was very cumbersome and I got tired of hunting and pecking for the info. So, what I put together will at least get someone started in the right direction with room to explore.

Trey3
Captain
Captain

Postby Trey3 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:18 pm

Yes sir I definitely agree. It’s always been hard to find it all till now.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:38 pm

I happened to be looking around on Google when I came across Raven's KA mods that he loaded up to GameFront and they still appear to be downloadable.

https://gamefront.online/files/listing/ ... fications/

Trey3
Captain
Captain

Postby Trey3 » Tue May 01, 2018 2:40 pm

Yay!! That’s good to know. Raven always had some great mods.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:46 pm

See the addendum above for anyone that gets emails on this post topic.

Trey3
Captain
Captain

Postby Trey3 » Tue May 08, 2018 12:34 am

do you know if John is still around? the reason im asking is because a podcast called Trek.fm wants to interview someone from here about Klingon Academy. I told them John would be perfect. It was the Continuing Missions podcast.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Tue May 08, 2018 3:00 am

I'd say he's probably still around to some degree since this website it still up and running. You could try sending him a notice/email via his KA account here. Also, I'll send him an email in hopes he gets it.

Btw, within the past 12 hours, I've been working on trying to get LW 6.5b to install and work. So far, I've got it to install, but I haven't got it to work. The Layout program keeps crashing based on one .dll file, i.e. lwtools3.dll. I'm not sure, but it might be crashing due to a Sentinel driver issue since they wouldn't install without getting halted by the OS. Also, no amount of setting Windows Win98/2000/XP compatibility modes worked to resolve the crash.

The Sentinel drivers that came with the program are Win98/2000/XP based and most likely 32-bit. I'm using W7 64-bit and I've got two WXP 64-bit Sentinel drivers to install and test in hopes that resolves the Layout.exe lwtools3.dll crashes, which might also be completely unrelated. There are also some Sentinel fix programs I downloaded when I was doing my research years ago that might or might not be helpful at fixing the Sentinel driver issue.

There was a Local Security Policy based workaround that I found worked for someone facing the same Sentinel drive problem install that I tried, but it didn't work to get the Sentinel drivers to work. There's also another workaround I found on a Newtek forum of where someone grabbed some Sentinel drivers from another company's website that either helped fix lwtools3.dll from crashing or allowed the Win98/2000/XP based Sentinel drivers to install. I'm a little groggy from lack of sleep trying to troubleshoot this issue. So, I might be remembering something incorrectly. Regardless, if I get LW 6.5b to work, I'll knock out and provide a full instruction doc with 7z file that contains everything needed to get it to work.

John
Chancellor
Chancellor

Postby John » Tue May 08, 2018 9:01 am

Trey3 wrote:do you know if John is still around? the reason im asking is because a podcast called Trek.fm wants to interview someone from here about Klingon Academy. I told them John would be perfect. It was the Continuing Missions podcast.

I might not be best person but if I can get permission I might be able to put them in touch with at least one or two of the development team. Sorry I have not been around, busy times...

Trey3
Captain
Captain

Postby Trey3 » Tue May 08, 2018 2:24 pm

Hey John I sent you a pm with the contact information.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Sat May 12, 2018 6:10 am

See the Major Update 5/11/18 - LightWave 6.5b for KA above if you get email about this post topic.

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Sun May 13, 2018 4:06 pm

An interesting blog retrospective on LightWave 3D.

http://lwbbg.blogspot.com/

Trey3
Captain
Captain

Postby Trey3 » Sun May 13, 2018 11:27 pm

Thank you DBF68 I’ll definitely check it out.

Return to Modding (Ships, Sound, Systems & UI)