Idea for a Multiplayer Focused Mod

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Idea for a Multiplayer Focused Mod

Postby teeth_03 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:40 pm

I'm going to preface this by saying I'm pretty stoked for the new Star Wars Squadrons game, the small scale 5v5 battles sound fun and having ships of different classes with different roles is interesting.

Which made me think "Why can't Star Trek do this?"

Well, that made me think how ships in Star Trek games typically just follow the approach of "Slower = More Health and More Weapons", there isn't much to separate out the different classes, so there is little reason to pick a DD over a CA unless its personal preference.

Well, I don't think it would take much to change this, by rebalancing ships, and limiting options so each available class has its own place to shine.

So I am going to outline a small set of ship classes that could work with a Star Trek Multiplayer Focused Game/Mod:

**All Ships**
Primary Weapon - Phasers or Disruptors

**Frigates**
Fastest Ship/Lowest Health

Secondary Weapon - Missiles
Best Seeking/Worst Damage

**Destroyer**
Medium Speed/Medium Health

Secondary Weapon - Heavy Torpedoes
Worst or No Tracking/Most Damage

**Light Cruiser**
*Support Role*
Slow Speed/High Health

Secondary Weapon - Tractor Beam Weapon or none, low damage

Can Tractor Beam
Can Use Marines
?Can Repair Team Mates?
?Can Rearm Team Mates?

**Heavy Cruiser**
*Limited to 1 per team*
Slowest Speed/Highest Health

Secondary Weapon - Torpedoes
Medium Tracking/Medium Damage

Perhaps give passive buffs to team mates when close enough

Perhaps the objective is to take out the other team's Heavy Cruiser

I think a lot of this could be done in KA, except for the Ammo Refil/Health Healing/AoE Effects.

But we could remove some of the standard ship features like Tractor Beams, Transporters, ECM and place them only on Support ships, and have the other classes have enough varied weaponry to make each class feel unique.

Of course, this isn't something that would work without the game widely available and easy to connect to each other for Multiplayer, its more or less just proof of concept. I could make this mod for KA, but I don't see anyone being able to play it, especially if the goal is 5v5 Battles.

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Idea for a Multiplayer Focused Mod

Postby el_flesh » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:03 pm

If you follow the FASA design scheme:

Destroyers - lightest but fastest, most manouverable.
Frigate - fast, manouverable, heavier armed than destroyer, tractors, can land marines (Chandley)
Light Cruiser - wider turn radius, heavier armed, more SS
Heavy Cruiser - deals and absorbs serious damage, fast going straight, but even wider turns
Battleship - Excelsior; can deal and take unequalled damage, but steers like a cow.

I renamed the KA ship classes according to this scheme some years ago on my build mission list.

It would be great for a Galactic War game. Frigates could have loads of landing parties / colonists! That would breathe life into this game again! Frag fest gets old pretty quick.

teeth_03
Order of Kahless
Order of Kahless

Postby teeth_03 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:03 pm

even that still sounds like:

The larger the ship, the more health and firepower it has and the slower it turns.

I just think it could be more specialized than that.

el_flesh
Warrior
Warrior

Postby el_flesh » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:57 am

Well, destroyers are for support right? Give them some resupply role like that. Or scouting with longer range sensors.

Frigates can land marines; they're not for exploring.

For the rest, you could take a *hint* from STO and make Science/ Engineering/ Tactical.
Excelsior would have more Engineering roles, since it's a testbed for later refined models like Ent-B.

Return to Modding (Ships, Sound, Systems & UI)