Romulan Heavy Plasma Torp Testing Grounds

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Romulan Heavy Plasma Torp Testing Grounds

Postby DBF68 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:54 pm

Here's a short work in progress (wip) video of some Romulan heavy plasma torpedo replacements I've been working on lately on a whim. This first video link is the short video at about 5 minutes, whereas the second link is the long video of 20 minutes. I'll go into more detail later, but I thought I'd post these links to let people get a preview of something I'd like to release.

Altogether, there are four different plasma torps with some size, detail, color, or shape differences. Version 3 seems to cut out before the explosion at the end, which is something I didn't notice until now. Although, I'm a little curious as to why it would cut out early when the batch of image files used to make up the animation is the same as it was for the other plasma torp versions, which is 110 frames. So, the 3rd version plasma torp might need some tweaking by adding another 10 image frames.

Best viewed at 720HD with the joke of a large player window. If necessary, increase your browser zoom to get the video player to take up more of the screen area and give you a better viewing experience. Enjoy.

Romulan Heavy Plasma Torp Testing 1: http://youtu.be/j-KKRD4rXRE

Romulan Heavy Plasma Torpedo Testing 2: http://youtu.be/6SxIDZVTJHo

As I say in the second video description in reference to the Snickers candy bar commercial: Not going anywhere for awhile? Grab a bottle of Romulan Ale and kick back for a bit. This is 20 minutes of new Romulan Heavy Torpedo graphics I've been experimenting with lately.
Last edited by DBF68 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Warning, we have entered Neutral Zone, Warning.....

LeDaniel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Romulan Heavy Plasma Torp Testing Grounds

Postby LeDaniel » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:47 pm

A saw first video and Some romulan plasma buble look very interesting and dangerous :) .

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:38 pm

Addendum: Newer public video with Show More info and subtitles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEynEoHwfHg

Poktarl
Elite Commando
Elite Commando

Postby Poktarl » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:32 am

hey,

i'm curious, what happend to those testing grounds? Do you plan to release those nice looking new plasma torps? I especially like the version that fades in first :cool:

DBF68
Commander
Commander

Postby DBF68 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:54 am

Poktarl wrote:hey,

i'm curious, what happend to those testing grounds? Do you plan to release those nice looking new plasma torps? I especially like the version that fades in first :cool:

Sorry I haven't got back to you until now. I've been busy with various things and didn't want to delve into this topic just yet. Although, I've been looking into seeing what's available and possible.

Maybe in Aug 2014, I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro, but I got a little stupid and cavalier on how I did it. So, where I had stored the finished plasma weapon effects got deleted and some overwritten. I tried to get back what I could via file recovery software (Active@ File Recovery), but I didn't get everything, including that fade in sun plasma torp you like.

Recently, I decided to fool around with I had salvaged to see if I can recreate that and the other plasma weapons effects. It turns out that 120 frames of each plasma torp graphic was not enough to sync with the timing of disappearing and the resulting explosion effect. So, if you watch one of those YouTube videos on 0.25 speed, you'll see each plasma torp disappear just a little bit before the explosion.

I've done some stop watch timing of how long each plasma torp launch to explosion period takes and it's around 8:45 seconds:milliseconds. Using some basic math in terms of how many frames per second should be displayed during that time, it comes to roughly 128 frames. So, in theory, each plasma torp I created is off by being short 8 frames in order to synch it's disapparence just prior to the explosion.

I've still got all the .flv files to each plasma torp. I recently rediscovered how I converted the .flv file to .png and then .bmp by using a combo of NCH VideoPad and Jasc PaintShop Pro (JPSP). Now, I've got to look at and interpret my JPSP scripts that I had saved in My Docs folder to find out what I used for each plasma torp. Most significant is to find the script or scripts that were helpful in removing or greatly reducing the ShutterStock logo in each .bmp image.

I've got a program that can do some batch watermark removal, but it's only good for some of the watermark. If I try to apply the program to the watermark that's layered over the image, the image is obliterated in the watermark removal process. PhotoShop is supposed to have some kind of watermark removal capability from what I've read ever so sparsely online, but I don't have it even though I can "get it". The drawback would be the time factor of finding it, installing it, then whatever arduous nor non-arduous learning curve to hopefully remove the watermark successfully. So, I'm leaning in the direction of experimenting and renaming my JPSP scripts to be more descriptive for the purpose they were used.

At the moment, I don't know how long it's going to take to get any of this to work or to when I'll work on it. So, when I find a bored moment, I'll try to work on getting this stuff sorted out to make those plasma torps correctly. My life is always being tugged one direction after another off course from what I want to do to what I should do. ;)

Anyway, did you get my post email notices about the LightWave 6.5 program and materials I made available via my DropBox account? Since you still dable with it, I thought you'd get some use out it. With the LW Hub enabling communication between Modeler and Layout, I think the days of going back into Modeler to reposition a ship graphic after you've made an adjustment in Layout are over, but I could wrong.

Poktarl
Elite Commando
Elite Commando

Postby Poktarl » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:06 pm

DBF68 wrote:Anyway, did you get my post email notices about the LightWave 6.5 program and materials I made available via my DropBox account? Since you still dable with it, I thought you'd get some use out it. With the LW Hub enabling communication between Modeler and Layout, I think the days of going back into Modeler to reposition a ship graphic after you've made an adjustment in Layout are over, but I could wrong.

I guess you mean this post of you?

DBF68 wrote:Since you're probably the one to get the most use out of this post, take a look at it for better LW tools.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36979&p=308561#p308561

Yes I did :) , a lot of new stuff, currently I reading through the KA Modding Manual. And I will have a look at LW 6.5 and its usage for KA modding. Thanks a lot for providing all this material. :) :)

Return to Modding (Ships, Sound, Systems & UI)